As far back as 1915, the City of Columbus had floated the idea of buying Indianola and operating it as a city park. Over the years the proposal had come up again and again but, for one reason or another, it never came to pass. In 1927, the park's needs and the city's interest finally intersected.
On September 2, 1927, the Columbus Board of Education approved the purchase of the northern half of Indianola Park for the construction of a new junior high school. Contracts were bid that October and construction of the $400,000 ($4.6 million in 2006 dollars) building began before winter.
The new school opened in September 1929 and remained in operation for the next 81 years, closing in 2010.